Social Matters >> Talaq (Divorce)

Question # : 47849

United States of America

If a marriage took place and rukhsati did not happen and not consummated. Husband and wife since then have developed irreconcilable differences and want to annul marriage contract. Is it possible to annul the marriage as if it never happened?

Answer : 47849

Published on: Sep 18, 2013

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

(Fatwa: 1293/1293/M=11/1434)

Efforts should be made to solve the differences of husband and wife and the sacred relation of nikah should be maintained so that it is saved. In case it is hard to settle and it is inevitable to nullify the nikah bond, then the husband should give one talaq and leave his wife. And in case when the talaq happens before rukhsati and meeting of spouses in privacy (khalwat) then no iddah is on the divorced woman.

Allah knows Best!

Darul Ifta,
Darul Uloom Deoband

Related Question