Faiths & Beliefs >> Innovations & Customs

asalaamu alaikum, Dear Sheik, I am frm chennai,in our hometown now people started celebrating Melad e nabi and frm rabiul awval 1st day,people use to read the mawlid kitab as sacred as the Holy quran until 12th of this month.So pls tell me whether is there any HASANAS for reading these types of book and confirm me whether it is Halaal or Haram? Awaiting ur reply at the very earliest

Published on: Mar 14, 2010

(Fatwa: 414/339/B=1431)

Celebrating Eid Meelad al-nabi (the birthday of the Prophet) is not proved by Hadith and Quran. The companions of the holy Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وسلم) who held great respect and love for holy Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وسلم), they never celebrated Eid Meelad. It is the invention of Christians which was invented following six hundred years after the holy Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وسلم). We are not asked to celebrate the birthday or death-day of anyone. This day should be spent like other days.