Question # : 318
United States of America
(1) Is it permissible to pray behind barelwi imam?
(2) What are the main differences between deobandis and barelwis?
(3) How can I strengthen my iman?
(4) Is giving bayaah neccasary for purification of the heart?
Answer : 318
Published on: May 7, 2007
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
(1) If he is only Bidati and does not hold beliefs that lead one to Kufr (infidelity) then salah will be valid behind him but will be makrooh (undesirable).
(2) The Barelvi people are bent to twist and distort the texts, written by Ulama of Ahlus Sunnah wal-Jamaah Ulama of Deoband, and regard them as kafir. While the Ulama of Deoband strictly avoid to term anyone as kafir and try as much as possible to give a good explanation to every act or saying of a Muslim. The Barelvis consider it compulsory to adopt the anti-sunnat issues as symbol of their sect, while the Ulama of Deoband reject all these innovations. For details, please see Mutala-e-Barelviat by Allama Dr Khalid Mahmood, Ghalat Fahmiyon ka Izalah, Tuhfatul Jannah Liahlis Sunnah, Fatawa Rahimia v 1, 6, Fatawa Mahmoodiah etc.
(3) The Iman gets strengthened by adhering pure Islamic beliefs and high morals, by avoiding sins fully and repenting to Allah sincerely if any sin is committed, and by being in the company of pious persons who follow sunnah.
(4) Bayah (giving hand to any Shaikh for self reformation) is not necessary, but self reformation is necessary. Actually the purification of heart is not meant in itself but the only objective is to follow the Shariah and stick to it in every matter of life. And, this quality is generally gained by bayah and guidance from a Shaikh.
Allah knows Best!
Darul Uloom Deoband